How to roast the perfect potato
Top tips for perfect roast spuds
- Use the right potato, Extons, Dutch Creams, Royals Blues, King Edwards or Yukon Golds are just some of the varieties that are good roasters
- Hot fat, put the pan with oil in the oven before you peel your potatoes
- Season well with salt three times. In the water when boiling, when roasting and a sprinkle to finish before you take them to the table
- par-boil your potatoes before roasting and rough them up a bit before they go in the oil
Step by step guide
- Preheat oven to 200°C, put half a cm of oil in a roasting dish and put into the oven to heat up.
- Peel potatoes and cut into halves or quarters, put into pot with cold water and a tbsp of salt, bring to the boil. Boil for 10-15 mins, or until they start to soften.
- Drain potatoes and leave to steam for a few minutes.
- Add a good pinch of salt, put lid on the pot and shake a few times enthusiastically to rough up the outside.
- Tip into hot oil and roast, turning occasionally, for 30 mins or until golden brown all over.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt before serving.